Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dorky girl experiment # 1

I love coffee. Some mornings I don't feel like myself till a sip of caffeine goodness has passed through my lips and there are days were the caffeine has to be issued in regular doses throughout the day. When I returned to work from my honeymoon I came back to a grave realization that there was no coffee and the creamer shortage we'd been experiencing was still in full swing. After spending two days making excursions out to a local coffee shop, and purchasing my frilly, expensive but oh so sweet and wonderful coffee confections I determined that it was not an expense I could keep up. So I buckled and brought in some grounds from my own stash. Everyone rejoiced, and the first cup was great. The first sip into the second cup reminded me of my love for creamer. Or milk, when I'm cheap and it's closest.

We were out though and I really did need something to break up the pitch black coffee. So I thought, "hey, I brought some yogurt in for breakfast. It's dairy, so it'll work right? Yogurt's just milk... right?" So I said what the heck and threw in two-three globs of the yogurt, stirred it up and watched the results. At first it was ok. The yogurt broke up in the coffee into little carmel colored granules adding the illusion of creamer to my coffee. It also added a kind of cool vanilla yogurt aftertaste to my coffee. Of course I had to boast about my accomplishment, which was when things turned downhill. I first noticed that the "yogurt layer" was staying near the bottom of the cup and hiding under a layer of black coffee. Then I saw the chunks at the bottom. Which completely ruined the whole thing. There's clearly an in-grained survivalist knowledge that tells me that chunks of a dairy product is not a good thing.

Yogurt coffee

Aren't the chunks attractive? Apparently not all dairy is created equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment